SPRING HAS ARRIVED.
We are believing it’s here to stay…what about you? As much as we love the coziness of the winter months, we definitely are so excited for the sunshine on our face and the warmer weather outside.
As we prepare for Spring, this is a great time to come up with a plan for preparing our homes as well! Spring is the perfect time for a good deep cleaning, as well as some minor rearranging and redecorating (without breaking the bank!) to switch things up. Here are some tips we love for rethinking spring cleaning:
- Start outside. It has been said that you only get one chance to make a first impression; this is true of your home as well! Your front porch, front door, and doorstep set the tone for your home. Clear out the cobwebs that may be lingering, buy a new plant to bring some life and color to your doorstep, and wipe down your outdoor furniture. Move to your backyard next and pull out that outdoor furniture that’s been hiding all winter! Maybe you’ll even want to get some new outdoor throw pillows or a new rug to create an inviting atmosphere to use over the next few months. Come on in to LJ and we will help you out with that!
- Tackle one zone at a time. As you move inside, we know it can be overwhelming. You didn’t realize how big your home was until it’s time to wipe down every baseboard! We have found it helpful to break your home down into zones. Make the kitchen your zone for one day, and clean it top to bottom. The next day, take on the living room. Save the bedrooms for another cleaning day. You will stay much more motivated to clean, and ultimately do a better job if you don’t try to tackle it all in a day!
- Reconfigure your space. As you move through the zones in your house, try to see each room through new eyes. If you were just putting furniture in this room for the first time, would you have placed the couch there? Maybe the candlesticks you have on your entry table would actually work better on your mantle? Sometimes something as simple as swapping the rugs in your bedroom and living room can be just the update you need. After spending a winter indoors, we find that it can bring new life and energy to our homes to simply rearrange a few things.
- Bring some green in. We are fans of indoor plants in general, but spring definitely gives us motivation to find new ways to incorporate the outdoors in our homes! This can be in the form of a potted house plant, a bouquet of wildflowers, or even fresh lemons or limes in a canister! You can also come check out the stems we have at LJ. They are the perfect pop of color, and believe us, not all of us have green thumbs!
- Declutter your bookshelves. This is an often-overlooked way to update your space. Bookshelves are just so convenient! They end up collecting not only books, but magazines, knick-knacks we pick up along the way, picture frames, and the other random items we can’t find a good place for. They can end up creating a cluttered and scattered atmosphere in the home. It’s a good idea to look at your bookshelves objectively and consider finding a new spot for some pieces. You can also re-arrange your books by color to create a little more interest and precision. You’ll be amazed at what just a little work on your bookshelves can do!
We’d love to hear from you! Are you a fan of spring cleaning? Do you dread it? What are some of your favorite, simple ways to update your space?