In our opinions, rugs add an instant sense of warmth and comfort to any room.
We love them. Especially if you have hardwood or tile floors that you are working with, they will soften the look of the room effortlessly. Plus, they are not only fun, but functional as well. Whether you are wanting to bring in some bolder colors and patterns or add more textural interest, they can add so much to your room’s design.
Here are some pointers for how to work with rugs in each area of your home:
- Living room. This is the room in your house that will likely deal with the most foot traffic on a daily basis. For this reason, you will want to look for a rug that will hide wear the best. Jute rugs are a great option! Remember that proportion matters – especially when it comes to the living room. If your living room is on the small side, a smaller rug can actually create a cluttered appearance. You will probably want to purchase a rug that will fit all of your furniture on it, providing an anchor for the room. In a larger living room, you may want to create two or three different seating spaces, each defined with a different rug.
- Dining room. There are a couple of useful guidelines that come into play in the dining room. First of all, you’ll want to look for a rug that is the same shape as your table, for the sake of symmetry. This rug won’t receive us much wear as the living room, so you have some more freedom there, although you will want one that will weather the occasional spill well. Before you begin shopping, you will want to do some measuring! The chairs around the dining room table should be completely on the rug, even when pulled out, so that you avoid snagging or setting a chair off balance. Pull all of your chairs out and then measure the needed size of the rug so you don’t find yourself with regret later!
- Bedroom. The most popular placement of a bedroom rug is to position it at the halfway point of the bed. This gives you a cozy greeting when you step out of bed in the morning, but also provides plenty of usable rug space at the foot and edges of the bed. You’ll want to make sure that your rug does not overlap with side tables if you choose this route. Another fun option for rugs in the bedroom is to get two runners to place along the edges of the bed. If your bed is positioned along a wall, you may want to consider a smaller, round rug at the side of the bed. This is a fun and less traditional way to play with rugs in the bedroom!
- Kitchen. There is nothing like a beautiful and cozy rug to greet you in the morning as you fix your coffee. The kitchen is likely the room of the house where you spend the most time on your feet, so getting the right rug is important! You have a few options for kitchen rugs. Runners are great for longer kitchens, or kitchens with an island that creates more limited floor space. If you have a smaller kitchen, a small rug at the sink may be enough to complete the space. Rarely, but occasionally, you can actually get away with a larger area rug in the kitchen if you have the space for it!
- Outdoors. We love outdoor rugs! Whether it’s patio seating, a porch, a sunroom, or an outdoor dining space, rugs really pull the look together. Defining your seating area can be especially important in the great outdoors, where openness and free spaces are surrounding you! And especially since you are probably dealing with either concrete patio or a wooden porch, the softness and comfort that a rug offers is even more welcome. A good rule of thumb for all rugs is to get one big enough that at least the front two legs of your furniture can rest on it.
It has been said that the rug is like a fine piece of art for the floor. We love that at LJ! It is so true. In a room with more neutral colors and softer themes, a rug with lots of interest and color can be just what the room needs to draw you in! In a room with more color and variation already, a subtle and heavily textured rug can be just the thing to anchor the space and sustain your look. We have some awesome rugs to choose from at LJ – come on in and we can choose the best one for your space!